Commemorative Medal of the War of 1939-1945 (France)
Commemorative medal of the war of 1939-1945 (Fr. Médaille commémorative de la guerre 1939-1945) – the state, commemorative award of France established on May 21, 1946. The award was intended to mark everyone who took part in the Second World War.
During the five years of World War II, French military casualties amounted to more than 210,000 people. France noted the action of its soldiers in this global conflict by the creation of a Commemorative Medal of the 1939-1945 war on May 21, 1946.
According to the statute of the award, it was awarded to all military personnel who, from 1939 to 1945, served in the French troops, were present on warships or armed merchant ships, as well as other French citizens who took part in the war against the OSI forces and their allies, and foreign nationals who served in the French forces. In 1949, additions were made to the charter, according to which a resistance member who did not participate in direct clashes with the enemy could also receive this award.
Grounds for rewarding
The Commemorative Medal of the War of 1939-1945 was awarded to:
- Military men, sailors, pilots serving under the command of the French government, fighting the Axis countries, or on board military or merchant ships armed by the government;
- French nationals, citizens or non-citizens, civilians or the military who fought against the Axis forces or their allies;
- Foreign military, sailors and pilots who served in foreign or French units against the Axis countries at their request and with the consent of the relevant government.
Planck “volunteer” was created by decree of August 11, 1953.
The right to wear the commemorative Medals of the War of 1939-1945 is justified by the possession of an administrative document attesting about participation in operations of World War II. Requirements for submission are submitted to the award bureau of the Ministry of Defense.
Read: French military cross
- No one may wear this medal if he was convicted of a crime or committed an improper action during the war.
- The commemorative medal of the 1939-1945 war is worn on the chest on a ribbon with a group of other awards.
- The right to wear a medal was confirmed by an award diploma.
A place in the hierarchy of awards
The Commemorative Medal of the War of 1939-1945 is placed after the Commemorative Medal of the Voluntary Service in the Free France movement and before the Commemorative Medal of the UN Operations in Korea.