General Assault Badge (Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen)
The badge “For participating in general assault attacks” (German: Allgemeine Sturmabzeichen) was established on January 1, 1940 by order of Colonel-General Brauchitsch, and was awarded during the Second World War. The badge was awarded to soldiers, non-commissioned officers and officers who took part in offensive operations, but did not serve in the infantry and, therefore, did not have the right to receive the breast assault infantry badge. As a rule, these were soldiers of the engineering troops, artillery, cavalry, anti-tank troops and air defense forces.
This award was also noted for medical personnel who were injured on the battlefield. Awarding took place in a number of exceptional cases. For example, for the sole destruction of eight enemy tanks, or other armored vehicles before the establishment in March 1942 of a special badge for personally destroyed tanks.
Work on the design of the Badge was carried out by the Berlin firm Ernst Pickhouse. The sign is an oval-shaped disc with dimensions of 53 × 42 mm and a thickness of 6 mm. Along the edge the award is framed by a wreath of oak leaves, five on each side. The crossed third hand grenade and bayonet are depicted in the lower third of the mark. In the center is an eagle clutching a swastika in its claws. Depending on the manufacturing method, the award may be solid or hollow. It should be noted that the material that went into the manufacture of the badge did not always meet the quality indicators, as a result of which the award could take a shabby look over time.
Presentation and wearing of a reward
The badge was handed in a paper or cellophane envelope indicating its name. An ordinary set of documents was attached to it, but the reason for the award was not indicated. It was supposed to wear the sign on the left side immediately under the Iron Cross of the 1st class or other similar award.
The sign was awarded:
- in case of impossibility to award with a Breastplate assault infantry badge;
- for participating in three attacks three different times;
- for participating in three or more attacks unrelated to a direct armed conflict three different times;
- for injuries resulting from the fulfillment of the 1st and 2nd requirements;
- for receiving any other award as a result of fulfillment of the 1st and 2nd requirements.
A variant of the award in bronze was awarded for fulfilling the same conditions but when using motorized parts.
As a result of further hostilities, the high military command was faced with the need to introduce a higher degree of this award, and on June 6, 1943, four new degrees were approved (25th, 50th, 75th and 100th classes) .
Awarding with signs with number plates was carried out on the basis of the same conditions as for a regular award. However, the championship was given to veterans who had gone through the school of war on the Eastern Front. It should be noted that the award, which was created as a military one, began to be issued over time as a service of time. As a result, the receipt of these respective badges became possible for:
- eight months of service, equivalent to 10 attacks;
- twelve months of service, equated to 15 attacks;
- fifteen months of service, equivalent to 25 attacks.