The Mikhalkovsky treasure
In the summer of 1876, two sisters Ekaterina and Nastya Danilchuk, as per usual, drove their cattle to a pasture near the village of Mikhalkov, spread out on the banks of the Nichlava River in the Borschevsky District of the Ternopil Region.
On one of these routine days, the girls saw shiny objects covered with silt on the slope. There were quite a few of them – the total weight of gold objects was 7.5 kg. This became the famous Mikhalkovskiy treasure of gold jewelry of the VIII-VII centuries BC, all belonging to the ancient Thracian Hallstatt culture. According to local historians, the girls’ mother received a significant amount for the gold found. In return, she put up a stone cross in gratitude.
Twenty years after this event, in the same village of Mikhalkov, a second treasure was found only 28 meters from the first during road repairs. Many of the road workers took much of the treasure and sold it to usurers in Vinnitsa, Odessa and other cities. Many of those treasures are now stored in the Natural Museum in Vienna (for example, gold arms, gold bowls, beads, necklaces, etc.), in the Archaeological Museum in Krakow, in a number of other European museums and private collections. Many of the items were acquired through third or fourth hands.
The remaining treasure leftover by the road workers was taken by Count Didushitsky for his private museum in Lviv, until the collection was transferred to Moscow in 1940. The further fate of the treasure is now unknown. Luckily, the Lviv Historical Museum has preserved galvanic prints and photos of the treasure.
Read: The Roman Hoxne Hoard