Order of the Red Banner
Order of the Red Banner
Hello! Today I will show you the very first and one of the most beautiful Soviet order/badge that is in my collection, this is the Order of the Red Banner.
The Order of the Red Banner (Order of the Red Banner) is one of the highest orders of the USSR. The first Soviet order. It was established for rewarding for special courage, dedication and courage shown in the defense of the socialist Fatherland. The Order of the Red Banner was also awarded to military units, warships, state and public organizations.
Established on August 1, 1924
Awarding the Order of the Red Banner was done:
- for particularly significant feats committed in a combat situation with a clear danger to life;
- for the outstanding leadership of military operations of military units, formations, associations, and the special courage and courage shown at the same time;
- for special courage and courage shown during the performance of a special task;
- for special courage and courage shown in ensuring the state security of the country, inviolability of the state border of the USSR in conditions involving a risk to life;
- for successful military operations of military units, warships, formations and associations, which, despite stubborn resistance of the enemy, losses or other unfavorable conditions, defeated the enemy or inflicted a major defeat on him or contributed to the success of Soviet troops in carrying out a major military operation.
In the center of the order there is a round sign, covered with white enamel, which depicts a golden sickle and a hammer framed by a gold laurel wreath. Under the round sign there are three rays of an inverted red star, under which the hammer, plow, bayonet and red banner with the inscription: “Workers of all countries, unite!” are depicted. Outside, the order is entwined with a gold laurel wreath, on which a red ribbon with the inscription “USSR” is placed. The Order of the Red Banner is made of silver. The height of the order is 40 mm, the width is 36.3 mm. In the first versions, the Order of the Red Banner was suspended on a red ribbon, which was folded in the form of a socket. Later, a pentagonal block was added to the round sign, covered with a red silk moire ribbon with a wide white stripe in the middle and narrow white stripes at the edges.
The order is made of silver. The silver content in the order is 22.719 ± 1.389 g (as of September 18, 1975). The total weight of the order is 25.134 ± 1.8 g.
The height of the order is 41 mm, the width is 36.3 mm.
The order, with the help of an eye and a ring, is connected to a pentagonal block covered with a silk moire ribbon 24 mm wide. In the middle of the ribbon is a longitudinal white stripe 8 mm wide, closer to the edges are two red strips 7 mm wide each and two white strips 1 mm wide at the edges.
Among those awarded with the Order of the Red Banner of the RSFSR were prominent CPSU figures — Kalinin MI, Kirov SM, Ordzhonikidze GK, Kuybyshev VV, and prominent civil war commanders — MV Frunze, Tukhachevsky M.N., Budenny S.M., Voroshilov K.E., Chapaev V.I., Kotovsky G.I. other.