Rare color photos of the German offensive on Stalingrad
Hans Eckle, a Chief Corporal of the 578th Infantry Regiment of the 305th Wehrmacht Infantry Division, took a large number of color photographs during the attack on Stalingrad and in the city itself. He was seriously wounded during the fighting in the encirclement and at the end of November 1942 was evacuated from the boiler.
In the first photo below German soldiers in a shelter near the school building number 3 in the factory district of Stalingrad. Probably, in the frame there are soldiers of the 578th infantry (from 15.10.1942 grenadier) regiment, in which the author of the photograph served. In the foreground is an 81 mm mortar (8 cm Granatwerfer 34).
View from the position of German soldiers on the explosions on the eastern bank of the Volga. The place of shooting is the village of Kuporosny.
View of the destroyed Stalingrad in September 1942. In the background is the elevator building held by the Red Army in the city center.
View of the destroyed houses in the German-occupied area of Stalingrad.
German self-propelled gun StuG III at the ruins of the Stalingrad Tractor Plant.
Soldiers of the 9th company under the command of Lieutenant Klaus Vogt of the 578th infantry regiment of the 305th Wehrmacht infantry division near the ruins of the Stalingrad Tractor Plant.
The ruins of the southern outskirts of Stalingrad in October 1942.